AIL Div 2B KANTURK 35pts BOYNE 10pts

Kanturk were celebrating their first ever AIL match on their own home ground and they certainly did not disappoint their enthusiastic home supporters, running out comfortable winners and scoring four tries to achieve maximum league points from the game against a Boyne team who were at the receiving end of their exuberance.

Maybe it was the long journey to the north west Cork venue that had the Boyne squad in a lethargic mood during this game but their general play was nowhere near what is required at this level. No doubt this is something they will work on during the coming weeks because several more long journeys to the southern end of the country are in the offing in the coming months.

Boyne were bright enough in the early stages but got a taste of the pace of the home side when they lost the ball in a tackle and Kanturk made a swift break down-field and were stopped just short with a last gasp tackle. The home side were somewhat nervous in the opening minutes but, their excellent out half, Mark Healy, settled them down on the 9th minute when he slotted a penalty after Boyne were penalised for 'crossing'. Following this score Kanturk were never in danger of losing this game and four minutes later they added a try when they took advantage of Boyne indiscipline, following a penalty decision against them, on the halfway line to tap and go and virtually run through the Boyne defence before Kanturk winger, Peter Earlie, crossed for a try. Healy failed with the conversion to leave the score 10pts to nil.

Boyne out half, Lansdowne, gave his team some hope when he landed a penalty on the 18th minute to put them on the scoreboard.

For the next 13 minutes Boyne managed to hold the home side scoreless and the efforts of Hugh Carolan, Johnny Kermath, Brian Howell and Eoin Duffy were causing Kanturk some problems with their probing running and drives. The inconsistency of the Boyne scrum, in failing to control their own 'put-ins' left No. 8, Karl Keogh, in serious trouble when picking at the base behind a back pedalling scrum. Boyne suffered a further set back on the 31st minute when another penalty chance for Healy put a further 3pts on the board for his side. This followed an offside decision from a clearance by Boyne. They were fortunate not to have conceded another 3pts earlier when Healy struck the post with his penalty attempt. This left the score at half time 18pts to 3pts in favour of the home team.

Boyne's 2nd half task was a matter of trying to prevent a 'drubbing'which became evident on the resumption with the Kanturk backs and forwards running at the visitors every time they were in possession. Boyne were conceding penalties at the breakdown and on the 50th minute Kanturk out half, Healy, added to his increasing scoring tally by slotting another penalty to bring his side to 21pts.

From the resulting drop out Boyne were to suffer further humiliation when the Kanturk No 8, Dan McCabe, fielded and ran deep into the Boyne half before transferring to his fellow back row, wing forward Johnny O'Sullivan, who crossed for the simplest of tries. Healy converted to leave the result a mere formality at this stage. Boyne did have some consolation on the 62nd minute when Eoin Duffy made an intercept in midfield to sprint to the line and score under the posts. Out half, Lansdowne, made the easy conversion to bring his teams score to 10pts.

It was only a matter of time before Kanturk would complete a satisfactory afternoon with a bonus point try and this came on the 75th minute when they drove over for a converted try to finish off the scoring at 35pts to 10pts.

Whilst this is a young team in transition for the Boyne club, they will look back on this game as a chastening experience. The amount of times they were penalised for not releasing on the ground when the ball carrier became isolated and was not cleaned out was a constant worry. Their tackling could only be described as being non existent on occasions and their failure to secure clean ball on their own 'put-ins' must be another aspect they will need to work on in the coming weeks.

Next Saturday Boyne have fellow strugglers, Ards, at home in Shamrock Lodge and this has to be a must win game for both sides if they are to have any hope of picking up some league points. Kick Off is at 2:30pm.


Boyne XV & Replacements; Richard Keane (Cormac Brodigan 63rd min); Brian Howell, Eoin Duffy, Ronan O'Brien, Gaeme McQuillan; Tyler Lansdowne, Mike Walls (Shaun Rooney 65th min); Jerry Onianwa (John Kinsella h/t), George Cooney (Ryan Healy 60th min), Hugh Carolan; Richard Shuttleworth (Rory Hennessy 60th min), Jack Foley; Kevin Prendergast, Karl Keogh.